[JIRA] (OVIRT-696) create an 'infra-ansible' repo

Eyal Edri eedri at redhat.com
Tue Sep 6 14:58:47 UTC 2016

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 4:35 PM, Marc Dequènes (Duck) <duck at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On 09/06/2016 10:10 PM, Barak Korren wrote:
>
> > I find that typically work history can be lease then ideal for
> > presenting work to other developers. For me I typically find that I
> > can narrow down commits by a factor of 3-5 when going from actual work
> > history to a commit series that describes gradual accumulation of
> > major features.
>
> In ideal way I would have done topic branches from the start. Already
> moving out the Vagrant work was a pain in the ass, so it would mean
> hours or rebasing to aggregate fixes, which I'm clearly not willing to do.
>
> So I agree on presenting the history, except in this case (without
> gerrit) all the discussions about why something was setup one way and
> then changed is not in reviews and associated comments. So if I squash
> commits, messages explaining the reasons are lost.
>
> > Please not that I did not mean that you should squash all commits to a
> > single big one, just narrow them down and reorder to make it easier
> > for us to understand your major themes and ideas.
>
> That would probably be nice, but I'm not gonna redo all my work again,
> with things months behind I do not recall perfectly.
>
> So unless a decent proposition is done, well, we're stuck.
>
> With the current limitations of Gerrit (acknowledging your other reply)
> I see only two possibilities, none of them satisfying:
>   - reviewing (well, accepting in fact) all the commits one by one. this
> is boring but history is preserved
>   - cleaning all reviews I sent by mistake, and have just 2 commits:
> base layout with MM3 full, and Vagrant work
>
> I would have preferred my work being used as it is as the base
> repository of gerrit, or even better that this gerrit repository was
> created from the start (but with noone to really be able to review
> except myself). Now this is the hard way.

I'm fine with this as long as the commit msg will include link to GitHub
with the history.
So you can push the code as new branch or a single squash commit to Gerrit.

Eyal Edri
Associate Manager
RHV DevOps
EMEA ENG Virtualization R&D
Red Hat Israel

phone: +972-9-7692018
irc: eedri (on #tlv #rhev-dev #rhev-integ)