[ovirt-devel] Dropping rpm build from ovirt-engine check-merged.sh

Eyal Edri eedri at redhat.com
Mon Sep 19 17:59:20 UTC 2016

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 6:49 PM, Vojtech Szocs <vszocs at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]

+1, It also makes us find regressions slower because it takes more than 1
hour to build + consume very valuable resource which is BM slave.

> Doing [Firefox + Chrome x English = 2 permutations] && [draft GWT build
> option enabled] for snapshot builds should be enough.
>
> The *only* downside of not doing a full GWT build is that problems with
> localization resources [e.g. non-English .properties files] will not be
> reported by the GWT compiler. But we have Java unit tests to cover this,
> so it should be OK. (And if not, we must improve those tests.)
>
> In general, we should do a full GWT compilation only for release builds.
> Eyal mentioned at [1] that his team is working on
>
>   'build official manual' option to standard CI

Already merged and working for most projects.who requested it, also part of
standard CI.

> so that would be a great place to document & perform the full GWT build.
>
> As for build jobs: if `check-merged` is indeed acting as gate for merge
> [fail of `check-merged` => patch not merged

its not the case today, we'll need to install Zuul for that, which is in
the plan (including system tests).

> , `build-artifacts` does not
> execute], then it actually makes sense to:
>
> - keep `check-merged` doing a (draft) GWT build + Engine RPM build
> - maybe skip GWT build in `check-patch` [right now, there's detection
>   logic => if frontend files were changed, do GWT build]
>
> Otherwise, if `check-merged` doesn't act as gate for merge, we can just
> skip GWT build / Engine RPM build for that script.

Yea, doesn't act as gate, it just run post merge.