GitHub oAuth just gives me "Forbidden" when logging to Gerrit

Barak Korren bkorren at redhat.com
Sun Apr 30 07:11:59 UTC 2017

On 30 April 2017 at 02:05, Ondrej Svoboda <osvoboda at redhat.com> wrote:
> My motivation: Fedora OpenID logged me out five times only yesterday, and
> too many times before. GitHub seems handy to me, given that a simple
> e-mail/login+password is not available in Gerrit at all.
>
> On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 12:57 AM, Ondrej Svoboda <osvoboda at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have two Gerrit accounts: "osvoboda" (primary e-mail:
>> osvoboda at redhat.com), which I use exclusively, and "lenoch" (primary e-mail:
>> ondrej at svobodasoft.cz), which I must have created because of my issues
>> below, perhaps hoping to somehow merge the accounts later or just "make it
>> work" cluelessly.
>>
>> I would like to use my GitHub account to log in to the "osvoboda" profile.
>> When trying to add a new identity and clicking on "GitHub OAuth2
>> (gerrit-oauth-provider plugin)" I am able to log in to my GitHub account and
>> approve "oVirt Gerrit", which then shows in "Authorized applications" in my
>> GitHub settings.
>>
>> Trying to log in, however, gives me a simple "Forbidden" message. Can
>> anyone help me troubleshoot this, please? I thought this had to do something
>> with the e-mail address GitHub supplies to Gerrit through OAuth, but I can
>> never be sure. Do you know what "public information" GitHub actually shares
>> with Gerrit?
>>
>> If anything, I wouldn't mind to have my "lenoch" Gerrit account removed,
>> if there was any clash with the "osvoboda" account, in terms of linked
>> e-mail addresses and GitHub authorizations.

It is perfectly reasonable to use the GitHub account to login to
oVirt's Gerrit, and many developers (myself included) do either that
or use Google.

It should work out of the box, but sometimes we see browser quirks.
Can you try cleaning your browser cache and cookies? If it still
doesn't work, please send an email to infra-support to open a Jira
ticket.

--
Barak Korren
RHV DevOps team , RHCE, RHCi