[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] FIBRE CHANNEL StoragePool

Mark Wu wudxw at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Dec 20 06:02:23 UTC 2013

Hi Rodrigo,

In my understanding, this task could include the following sub-tasks:

1. Allow user to define a storage pool by specifying a fc host. (by the
second link you added)
2. Allow user to configure vm to use LUN contained in the storage pool
defined in 1. It can be done by "type='volume'",  which only available
from libvirt 1.0.5.
    You also can get an example from the link 1 you added.
    That also needs to change the vm template and kimchi's vm creation
flow, because  kimchi can't use existing volume or image. And we can't
create new
    volume in a 'scsi' pool or 'iscsi' pool. For these two kinds of
storage pool,  we only can use the volumes(LUNs) predefined on the
storage backend.
3. Add a 'refresh' operation for the storage pool.  It will invoke a
scsi rescan automatically by libvirt.  So after the storage admin add
new luns on the storage,
    it can just click the 'refresh' button instead of manually invoking
rescan manually.

What benefits can provide this feature?  Actually,  except it can help
the host storage management a little bit easier,  I don't see others.
Because we can just use logical pool on top of the LUNs provided by fc
host.  It also provide more flexibility.  It doesn't like iscsi,
libvirt provide connection
management.  For fc host,  kernel can probe and attach the LUNs on boot
up.