[Kimchi-devel] Open Discussion for jQuery Widget Adoption

Yu Xin Huo huoyuxin at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Dec 26 10:36:10 UTC 2013

Hi, All

I reviewed current kimchi UI content and found generic UI components
below that should be jquery plugins or widgets

     Button/Menu/Dialog/AlertBox/Accordion/Chart/DataGrid...

These widgets fall into 2 categories:
1. basic form control component like Button/Menu and container widgets
like Dialog/Accordion
2. functional widget like Chart/DataGrid

_For the 1st category_, jquery ui contains most of them, refer to link below
     http://jqueryui.com/
If any widget we need that does not exist in jquery-ui, we should create
a jquery widget which is common enough for reuse.

_For the 2nd category_, as jquery ui does not contain any of them, we
need to discuss to use jquery plugin from 3rd party.

jquery has a widget registry, we can search the needed plugin/widget
there.    http://plugins.jquery.com/

for chart: http://plugins.jquery.com/?s=chart
for datagrid: http://plugins.jquery.com/?s=datagrid

As they are from 3rd party, not created by jquery team, we need to
evaluate its features, quality, maintenance, license.

Team, this is definitely strategic which impact long-term development,
please feel free to popup your idea.