[Kimchi-devel] About the author information in Kimchi source code

Sheldon shaohef at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Feb 25 09:59:44 UTC 2014

On 02/25/2014 04:51 PM, Shu Ming wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you have seen, we have author information in Kimchi source code to
> specially honour the writer of the original source files and the
> succeeding writers with substantial change. Unfortunately, I found the
> authors in some files were updated without any substantial change. One
> recent example about this is "src/kimchi/model/debugreports.py", the
> author was changed to "Aline Manera" and the original author was gone.
> And this change was introduced by "refactor model: Create a separated
> model for debug report resource" that got a new file "debugreports.py"
> split from another huge file without much change. I don't think this
> split was deserved to change the author in the new file. Then, how do we
> define what is "substantial change". I would say it is a new feature
> changing the file with more than 1/3 of the total lines of code. It is a
> not necessary a hard rule, but it is obvious that code split should not
> be deserved to have a new author for the file.
In open source:
Usually, the original author know the feature design well.
And we usually put the authors in the files.
When the users counter problems or bug, he can get help from authors
conveniently.

Also if we embed third source code into our open source project, we
should not remove the
authors name.
For example, we embed the a i18n tool in kimch, but we still keep the
original authors.

in m4/po.m4 you can find the authors list as follow:
dnl Authors:
dnl Ulrich Drepper <drepper at cygnus.com>, 1995-2000.
dnl Bruno Haible <haible at clisp.cons.org>, 2000-2003.

neither Ulrich Drepper or Bruno Haible is kimchi developer.