[Kimchi-devel] RFC: Suggestion of changing the button "Clone" to "Replicate"

Paulo Ricardo Paz Vital pvital at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jul 1 17:11:13 UTC 2014

Hello Wang,

On Tue, 2014-07-01 at 14:51 +0800, Wen Wang wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I did some translation in last release and found out it is a little
> bit odd to see the word "clone" under "Action" in Templates tab:
>

> In my point of view, "clone" is used in medical area in most cases and
> I recommend to have it changed to "Replicate" which have the same
> meaning that indicates to copy and paste the same template
> configuration.

You are correct! The first definition of clone in dictionary is related
to Biology [1], but also there's a common definition that can be used to
things: "a person or thing that duplicates, imitates, or closely
resembles another in appearance, function, performance, or style". Based
on this definition, I think we can continue to use the word "clone".

In addition, and in my point of view the most important, the term clone
is already used in virtualization world to create a duplicated copy of a
virtual machine or disk. Also, there's a command used to do that:
"virt-clone" [2].

So, from my point of view, the word is correct in this case.

> Best Regards
>
> Wang Wen

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/clone
[2] http://linux.die.net/man/1/virt-clone