[Kimchi-devel] [RFC]Create VM from image

Christy Perez christy at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jul 1 20:07:28 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-07-01 at 15:53 +0800, Royce Lv wrote:
> Currently kimchi just support create a vm from an ISO defined template.
> This requires duplicate installation.
> This release we want to support create a vm from an installed image.
>
> This involves the following change:
>
> 1. Create a template from an image:
>
> POST /templates/template-1
>      {'base': 'abs_base_img_path'}
>
> Implementation:
>      (1)probe image os distro and version to get suggested config.
>      (2)Avoid image to be deleted.
>      (3)Avoid using ISO and base image at the same time.
>
> 2. Create a vm from image based template:
>      This part has already been covered by Aline's prototype patch.
>
>      POST /vms/vm-1
>          {'storagepool': 'default', 'network': 'default',
> 'disks':[{'index':0, 'base': 'abs_path'}]}
>      or
>          {'storagepool': 'default', 'network': 'default',
> 'disks':[{'index':0, 'base': 'abs_path', 'volume': 'scsi_volume'}]}
>
>      The create vm implementation need to be re-considered for the
> following points:
>      (1) when creating vm on scsi/iscsi pool, if volume size smaller
> than original image, need to be rejected.
>      (2) when creating vm on directory based pool, volume generating
> logic is different with allocation new volume.
>      (2) xml generating need to be refactored.
>
> Anything else need to be considered, welcome your comments.

this might be something for down the line, but some distros (not sure
which, other than Ubuntu) or even private organizations, keep image
files online too. So we might want to think about allowing remote images
to be used. This would have to be different than the remote template
logic, of course, since we would want to pull the image down into a
storage pool and then use it locally.

Scroll to the bottom: http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/precise/current/
http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/