[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] Upload and download image for OOTB storage pool

Aline Manera alinefm at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jul 2 02:55:46 UTC 2014

On 07/01/2014 12:19 AM, Royce Lv wrote:
> Now OOTB ISO pool is available, but user has to copy ISO manually to
> the ISO pool, which is not convenient.
> So here we propose two ways to transfer ISOs.
>
> 1. User ---upload --> Kimchi Server
>
> REST API will be:
>
>     POST /storagepools/isos/upload
>    {'file': file_local_abs_path}
>
> Ding Xiao had already posted a piece of code in his patch:
>
> using cherrypy file upload interface. His code can support following
> requirements:
>     (1) upload task can be cancelled.
>     (2) non-blocking, other request can be handled.
>     (3) progress can be monitored with a progress bar.
>     (4) multi-file selected support.
>
> Only nits are UI part needs to be refactored a little.
>
> Also for multiple file upload, number of upload session needs to be
> controlled through config file.

ACK for the idea

Just a comment:

Regarding to Ding Xiao patches, he added the upload function to the add
template UI
But it only upload the image to Kimchi server and does not create a
template from the uploaded ISO
If we will keep it on add template UI, we must do the whole process:
upload the ISO and also create a template from this ISO file.

> 2. Http server -- download -->Kimchi server
>
> REST API will be:
>
>     POST /storagepools/isos/download
>     {'file': file_remote_path}
>
> RETURN:
>     {'task_id': id_of_download_task}
>
> This will start a backend task for download. The UI will query the
> task for progress.
>
> For implementation, we will use python libcurl to download image/ISO.
> REF:
>     http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/python/

ACK