[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] create an image from VM for OOTB storage pool

Sheldon shaohef at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Jul 7 14:47:19 UTC 2014

On 07/07/2014 09:43 PM, Aline Manera wrote:

> On 07/02/2014 11:11 AM, Sheldon wrote:
>> Now OOTB ISO pool is available.
>> we can copy an base image to OOTB ISO pool from VM.
>>
>> There will useful for when user want to create a image from an
>> existing VM.
>> User create a VM and configure this VM. He want to create several VMs
>> with this VM.
>>
>> There are two ways for him.
>> 1. use backing store
>> (http://libvirt.org/formatstorage.html#StorageVolBacking) for the
>> existing img
>> 2. create an base image to OOTB ISO pool from the existing VM.
>> When are are snapshots on the VM base image.
>> we should merge the all snapshots and the base image.
>> Then he can create a template from this image.
>> And create a VM from this template.
>>

> That is what Royce proposed in "[RFC] Create VM from image"
> Some tasks were already added to 1.3 Plan:
> https://github.com/kimchi-project/kimchi/wiki/Todo-1.3
They are different.
I means "create image from VM" not "create VM from image"

Not sure you have try the glance of Openstack.
Users can create VM from image in glance.

Li Yong install a Openstack.
Mark, royce and I have get agreement, we should create VM from an image,
it is a base function of a VM manage tool.

But do we need to support a same  concept of Openstack glance?

As I have comment in the the follow url.
http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/kimchi-devel/2014-June/006217.html

We should support 3 kinds of image.
One is local independent image, we can upload this kind of image.
One is remote image, kimchi can download from remote URL.
Another are the disk devices of VM.
It maybe a serious snapshot with a base image. So we should merge all
these snapshot to the base image.
It maybe also a physical disk. we maybe need to convert it to file image.

Also Openstack support image initialization.
When we create a VM from a base image. we can configure it before VM start.
such as if it is a static IP in the image, we should change it before VM.

There seems 2 kinds of method.
One is libguestfs.
Another is an attached new extra image with a script in it. Not well
know it. need to talk with our Openstack  developers.

--
Thanks and best regards!

Sheldon Feng(冯少合)<shaohef at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
IBM Linux Technology Center