[Kimchi-devel] RFC: Design of Authorization in Kimchi

Aline Manera alinefm at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Jul 7 20:01:05 UTC 2014

On 07/07/2014 07:35 AM, Aline Manera wrote:

> On 07/07/2014 06:45 AM, Wen Wang wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Due to the fact that Kimchi needs authorization feature to be designed.
>> I an posting my point of view below of how I thought about doing it,
>> including how I plan doing it in the front-end and request for help for
>> the back end support.
>>
>> Kimchi changed to a traditional login patten in last release that makes
>> Kimchi more secure to use. It Before login, the front-end can hardly get
>> any html information before user actually login.
>
> If the user is not logged in, Kimchi server will always return 401 for
> all the requests.
> As the front end make requests to server to populate the html, if the
> user hardly gets any html he/she will get it empty without any useful
> information
> At least, it is suppose to work like that.
>
>   As we discussed, root
>> user will have full access to Kimchi whereas the non-root user will have
>> restricted privileges. It will be easier and more decent to show the
>> proper tabs to certain users that distinguished by the back-end. Now the
>> tabs are generated by an xml file generated from the back-end that show
>> all 5 tabs. We probably need to have the '*Host*' and '*template*'
>> tab_removed_ for non-root users, which is recommended to be done in the
>> back-end.
>
> I suggest to add one parameter to the tabs in the xml.
>
> Example: access="restricted" which means only root users can see those tabs
>
> And in the front end while loading the tabs, we need to query this
> parameter and act accordingly (ie, do not display the tab with this
> parameter for a non-root user)
>
> <tabs>
>      <tab access="restricted">
>          <title>Host</title>
>          <path>tabs/host.html>
>      </tab>
>      <tab>
>          <title>Guests</title>
>          <path>tabs/guests.html>
>      </tab>
> </tabs>

I've just thought more about that and maybe it won't be enough
Probably, for each tab we should describe which view display according
to user role

       <tab>
           <title>Host</title>
           <path>tabs/host.html>
           <views>
               <view role="admin" mode="full" />
               <view role="user" mode="none" />
	  </views>
       </tab>

For "mode" we can have:
- full: full access to tab content
- none: tab should not be displayed
- resource: user can manage the resource he/she is assigned to but not
create a new one
- read-only: user can see the resources but not manage them or create a
new one

And in the /login request we return a list of user roles

{
       username: alinefm,
       roles: [admin]
       groups: [group1, group2]
  }

For now, only one value will be returned for "roles" but later one user
can have multiples roles: vm-user, network-admin, etc