[Kimchi-devel] [V1 0/2] Add Users/Groups to VM

Crístian Viana vianac at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jul 23 15:44:57 UTC 2014

On 21-07-2014 14:28, Aline Manera wrote:

> General comments:
>
> 1) I'd like to edit the VM permission when it is running
>     I think it is possible but it is good to have a input from the
> original authors - Sheldon and Cristian
>
>     Sheldon, Cristian, is it possible to set the metadata element to a
> running VM?
It should be. The function "setMetadata" has the parameter "flags" (the
last one, optional) which is used to indicate whether the change will
affect the live VM, the persistent configuration or both. I haven't
tested it, but that should work.

However I'm not sure how that will work on systems without a libvirt
version which supports the function "setMetadata". Currently, we're
redefining the VM by rewriting its XML description just to update the
metadata information. I'd say that this doesn't affect a live VM because
it's a redefinition, not a VM update. In other words, what would happen
if we redefine a VM XML for anything else (e.g. CPU count, memory, disk,
etc)? Does that change happen on the live VM? The same thing should
happen when updating the metadata via this method.