[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] Improve task management for kimchi

Wen Wang wenwang at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Jun 27 11:15:23 UTC 2014

Dear all,
*
**Problems:*
Now our strategy  for long time operation is using task which the
browser needs to check up-to-date task status time by time until the
task ends. It's time consuming and less efficient. Also there exists
several problems when locating each task when doing debug generating and
storage pool as well as some new features that might use task strategy
in the future.

*Solution*:
As talked with Sheldon and Zhengsheng, we came up with a solution that
avoid browser checking status every 200ms. Also, we might need some more
labels in each task to provide more information when getting the task
like we might need to indicate which operation triggered certain task.
What's in our mind is to use the strategy that allow the server inform
browser about the task information. Our proposal is designed as follows.

1) Browser needs to register to the back end to indicate which part the
result needs to reply to when the task finished.
2) The back end use broker to manage message distribution: when a task
is finished or experiencing an error, back end inform the browser
certain part of work is finished or error.
3) Using websocket of cherrypy to accomplish the message transfer.

Best Regards

Wang Wen