[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] UI: Support Selecting SCSI Volume when Creating a VM

Adam King rak at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Mar 10 19:18:40 UTC 2014

On 2/24/2014 5:34 AM, Hongliang Wang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Royce talked this topic with me today that the UI part is missing for
> SCSI volume selecting when creating a VM. In the current design, VM is
> created through a template and no extra options are available at VM
> creation: template defines which pool and disk size, and Kimchi will
> create a volume in the pool with specified disk size for the VM.
> Though SCSI volumes are read-only and we can't create anything in SCSI
> pool, we need allow user to select a volume in SCSI pool. So my
> initial suggestion to the VM creation UI looks like:
>
> /// --- Create VM Window   --- ///
>
> 1. Virtual Machine Name
> The name used to identify the virtual machine. If omitted, a name will
> be chosen based on the template used.
> [ Text box here to enter VM name ]
>
> 2. Template
> Please choose a template.
> [ Templates list here to be selected ]
>
> 3. Volumes (this part will be only available when SCSI pool is
> selected in Step 2)
> [ Volumes list in SCSI pool to be selected ]
>
> ///  Create  ///
>

> Does this make sense? If so, I'll send out patches for it.

Not yet? Imagine we extend the "Create VM" function to be available to
the User,
rather than being restricted to the Admin?
Our target audience is new to virtualization and host administration.
He likely doesn't know what SCSI is; its even less likely that he cares.
How would he know what volume to choose? Could choosing the wrong one do
harm?
He has access to create VMs from more than one template.
One asks him for volumes, one doesn't? Why?

We want VM creation to be a consistent experience, with no opportunity
for failure or corruption.

--
Adam King <rak at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
IBM C&SI