[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] UI: Support Selecting SCSI Volume when Creating a VM

Shu Ming shuming at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Mar 11 02:22:51 UTC 2014

In total, this idea sounds good to me. I have a few comments below.

2014/2/24 18:34, Hongliang Wang:
> Hi all,
>
> Royce talked this topic with me today that the UI part is missing for
> SCSI volume selecting when creating a VM. In the current design, VM is
> created through a template and no extra options are available at VM
> creation: template defines which pool and disk size, and Kimchi will
> create a volume in the pool with specified disk size for the VM.
> Though SCSI volumes are read-only and we can't create anything in SCSI
> pool, we need allow user to select a volume in SCSI pool. So my
> initial suggestion to the VM creation UI looks like:
>
> /// --- Create VM Window   --- ///
>
> 1. Virtual Machine Name
> The name used to identify the virtual machine. If omitted, a name will
> be chosen based on the template used.
> [ Text box here to enter VM name ]
>
> 2. Template
> Please choose a template.
> [ Templates list here to be selected ]
>
> 3. Volumes (this part will be only available when SCSI pool is
> selected in Step 2)
> [ Volumes list in SCSI pool to be selected ]

Kimchi don't get a way to allocate volumes from a storage pools.  So
where are these volumes coming from?  Further, the existing volumes
should be checked if there is any data on them and the user can chose a
empty volume for his VM.