[Kimchi-devel] UI Mockup of SMT

Christy Perez christy at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Nov 14 14:03:13 UTC 2014

On 11/14/2014 03:52 AM, Yu Xin Huo wrote:
> 1. Making it a combobox is not for the purpose to simplify coding, it is for
> visual balance, for current kimchi UI style, you can imagine how a checkbox
> looks there.
> 2. Please clarify below
>
> http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/kimchi-devel/2014-November/008660.html
>
> ---- For below, do you mean that I should always display SMT1, SMT2, SMT4 for
> the first 3, and for the last one, it will be SMT[threads_per_core]? I wonder
> why only 4 options.
I meant, if the host CPU has 4 threads/core, you'd give the options of
SMT1, SMT2, SMT4. If it has 8, you'd give the options SMT1, SMT2, SMT4,
and SMT8, etc. And the default one should be the greatest one available.

> 	  Display a menu labled SMT, with up to four check-boxes.
>            The check-boxes will be labeled SMT1, SMT2, SMT4, and SMT8.
>            The max SMT value displayed will be dependant upon
>            threads_per_core from above. The default checkbox should be the
>            greatest SMT value (e.g. SMT8).
>
> ---- For below, seems like you mean the CPUs should be limited to a certain set
> of numbers, where to get this set of numbers.
>
> 	  Display the same box for CPUs as before. I had initially thought
>            about having a drop-down for CPUs instead of the empty field,
>            (with only legal vCPU amounts, like 1,2,4,8, etc.)
Nope. I changed my mind on that. Hopefully my latest patchset is more clear.

> ---- For below
>
> curl -k -u user -X POST -H 'Content-Typ: application/json' -H 'Accept: application/json' \
>   https://localhost:8001/templates  -d'{"name": "test_topo", "cdrom": "/isos/DVD_name.iso", \
>   "cpus":4, "cpu_info": {"topology": {"sockets": 1, "cores": 2, "threads":2}}}'
>

> This is the content when create template, what content should be added for 'SMT'
> or 'Hyper-threading' when saving a template.

You're right. For SMT, you'll only pass in 'threads.' My latest patchset
should have a better explanation.