[Kimchi-devel] RFC: Add serial as a valid graphics type

Aline Manera alinefm at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Oct 14 13:45:08 UTC 2014

On 10/14/2014 07:04 AM, Yu Xin Huo wrote:
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization_Administration_Guide/sect-Virtualization-Troubleshooting_-Troubleshooting_with_serial_consoles.html
>
> Per my understanding:
>
> 1. To enable the serial console, it needs configuration on guest OS.
>
> /        You must configure the virtualized operating system to output
> information to the virtual serial port.//
> //        The serial port is called //|ttyS0|//on Linux or
> //|COM1|//on Windows./
>
>     It need to modify the |/boot/grub/grub.conf| file on guest OS and
> reboot guest.
>
>     So VM must have OS already installed, seems like it needs the
> guest to be running.

Prior to do that guest OS configuration, the guest must have the serial
console set on its XML.

<serial type='pty'>
   <target port='0'/>
</serial>
<console type='pty'>
   <target type='serial' port='0'/>
</console>

So the idea is providing a way to user to choose between spice, vnc or
serial and Kimchi will setup the guest XML accordingly.

For reference:
-
http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/setting-up-a-serial-console-in-qemu-and-libvirt/
- http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsConsole

> 2. The serial console can be accessed with 'virsh console' or 'use
> |virt-manager| to display the virtual text console'.
>
>      So the target of this work item is to add a 'web command line
> console' in kimchi UI to access the 'serial console'?

We could try to find an AJAX text console to enable serial console view
direct on Kimchi (the same virt-manager does)
So if the guest is configured with serial console and user clicks on
"Connect" we open the text console in a new tab.
But unless we find this AJAX text console done in an open source
project, I don't expect to have it for 1.4 release.