[Kimchi-devel] Mechanism for guest edits

Royce Lv lvroyce at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Sep 2 08:19:58 UTC 2014

On 2014年08月29日 04:52, Brent Baude wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm about to send a patch to you guys that:
>
> 1) adds "serial" as a graphics type
> 2) allows you to edit the graphics type on a cold guest
>
> In doing so and talking with Adam and Aline, it seems that a rework of
> how the guest's xml is edited is in order.  When you edit a template,
> for example, the whole templates xml is basically re-instantiated and
> only the values that kimchi cares about is added.  The rest libvirt
> fills in.
>
> The editing of guest xmls differs from that mechanism.  Right now the
> actual xml is edited and resubmitted.  If you think about editing
> components of a guest (think about changing graphics types), you can see
> where long-term there is an increased opportunity for the xml to become
> complicated and maybe even incorrect.  XML creep if you will.
>
> So, we are thinking that the cold guest edition should more closely
> follow how the template works, where critical parts that kimchi has
> fields for is inserted and libvirt does the rest of the work.  This will
> also allow for future growth/change where new components are added.
Hi Brent,

Thanks for contributing your ideas and patches!

Do you mean undefine the old one then generate and define a new one with
the updated xml?
Is that mean common params dict+updated param=a dict for xml generation?
If so, I'm wandering if we need to store two copies of metadata for a
vm-- one from kimchi, another is libvirt xml?