[Kimchi-devel] adding '/auth' for authentication

Lucio Correia luciojhc at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Aug 5 21:02:40 UTC 2015

On 08/05/2015 04:27 PM, Aline Manera wrote:

> On 05/08/2015 14:56, Lucio Correia wrote:
>> Hi Harshal,
>>
>> On 08/02/2015 01:45 PM, Harshal Patil wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> In the 'wok' branch there isn't anything to detect if the session has
>>> timed out on the browser side. On the other hand, on master (kimchi)
>>> there is '/vms' endpoint called every 5 seconds which kinda takes care
>>> of making sure the user is indeed logged in.
>>> So I was wondering, if no one is already working on it, to introduce a
>>> '/auth' endpoint which we can poll every 5 seconds using ajax and based
>>> on the response status code we can either redirect to login page or just
>>> stay on the same page. This is useful in 'wok' because there isn't any
>>> '/vms' endpoint which existed in master (kimchi) by default.
>>> I can submit a patch for review if this sounds good so far. Also, if
>>> there is a better way of doing it, I would love to hear about it.
>>> Harshal
>>>

>> The 10-minutes time out is still working with wok branch. But it is
>> only verified if you leave it in "Host" or "Guests" tab. Other tabs'
>> APIs don't send "wok-robot" in headers.
>>
>> Your proposal is good, you will need to send "wok-robot" in '/auth'
>> headers, and remove the "wok-robot" from kimchi plugin's Host and
>> Guests API headers.
>
> Why do you need a API /auth to check the user is logged? Shouldn't the
> "wok-robot" header be enough to do that?
> Otherwise, we will increase significantly the number of the requests, as
> the real request would be send after a /auth request.

Good point Aline, we really don't need /auth. If we want timeout checked
for every request, I see two alternatives:
* drop wok-robot verification from check_auth_session() in src/wok/auth.py.
* add wok-robot headers to requestJSON() in wok.api.js.

But I don't know why currently only hosts and guests tab use wok-robot.

--
Lucio Correia
Software Engineer