[Kimchi-devel] Fwd: Proposal for moving functionality from Kimchi to Ginger

Aline Manera alinefm at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Aug 7 16:05:03 UTC 2015

Seems we are close to a conclusion on that subject. ;-)

Let me resume what we have already agreed:

1) Move software update + repositories + restart + shutdown + console to
Ginger

2) Create a new plugin for host basic info + host stats + debug reports

My proposal is to have this new plugin under Ginger community
responsibility.
AFAIU, the Ginger community is for a host management plugin. And as this
new plugin is for basic host details, it makes all sense for me.

Thinking on that, I suggest to name this new plugin as 'ginger-basic'
which will load a tab named 'Host' with host basic information + host
stats + debug reports.
And 'ginger' plugin will extend this Host tab generated by ginger-basic.

It will increase the Ginger community scope and make everyone happy! =)
We can also think about splitting ginger into: ginger, ginger-ppc,
ginger-z, etc... (but it is an other different topic to be discussed on
Ginger community)

So from a user and devel perspective, the whole Kimchi Host tab will be
moved to Ginger community into 2 different plugins: ginger-basic and ginger.
In a simple phrase, Ginger plugins provide a Host tab based on wok
framework.

To do not get the user crazy "Where is Ginger now?" while loading the
updated version, I have 2 suggestion:

A) Work with plugin logos!
     Maybe a pan design to represent wok framework and on top of it all
the plugins logos are displayed.
     To do that we will need a logo for wok and ginger.

B) Create a introduction page to show the differences from the older
version.
     The idea behind it is like some Android applications do when get
updated. Once you open it, a page is displayed as a layer on top of the
application with balloons and arrows to tell "this feature was moved to
here"...

Do you agree, Daniel and Walter?

Regards,
Aline Manera