[Kimchi-devel] Fw: [Ginger-dev-list] [RFC] Inheriting Kimchi's Host tab

Aline Manera alinefm at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Aug 12 13:16:19 UTC 2015

On 12/08/2015 08:20, Archana Singh wrote:
> Please find my comment inline.
>

>> From: Aline Manera <alinefm at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
>> To: ginger-dev-list at nongnu.org
>> Date: 08/11/2015 08:12 PM
>> Subject: [Ginger-dev-list] [RFC] Inheriting Kimchi's Host tab
>> Sent by: ginger-dev-list-bounces+archanasingh=in.ibm.com at nongnu.org
>> responsible for the Host tab (today part of Kimchi) in a way of 2
>> different plugins: ginger-basic and ginger.
>> ginger-basic will provide host basic information, host statistics and
>> debug reports support. And among the current Ginger features, it will
>> also provide software updates and repositories management.
>>
>> For Kimchi perspective, we need to transform part of the Host tab into
>> the ginger-basic plugin and add it as a Kimchi dependency.
>> To move the discussion as soon as possible to Ginger community, my
>> suggestion is to move the entire Host tab into ginger-basic plugin in
>> the first moment.
>> Once we do that, we can move software update and repositories management
>> APIs to Ginger.
>>
>> Here is my proposal:
>>
>> 1) Create ginger-basic plugin which will launch the Host tab as it is
>> today.
>>     It will be done on Kimchi community.
>>
>> 2) Move software update and repositories management *APIs* from
>> ginger-basic to ginger.
>>     Only the API will be updated. The UI will keep the same.
>>
>> 3) Add ginger-basic as a Ginger dependency.
>>     In this step, Ginger standalone will launch 2 tabs: Host and
>> Administration.
>>
>> All that can be done by the end of September.
>>
>> Once we have the new UI widgets done, Samuel will start working on
>> merging those 2 tabs into one as we just need the update how UI is built.
>> The idea is to release Ginger as one single Host tab in the December
> @Samuel: As I was looking into current UI implementation to understand
> how to merge two plugins into one tab. But now it does not make sense
> to spend time on understanding this in exiting UI, as the plan is to
> do this on new UI.
> As I am not expert on bootstrap, is bootstrap already has some feature
> to merge two plugins into one tab?
> If not, then do you think it is better to consider this point while
> implementing new UI, so that merging(two plugins into one tab) can be
> easier wherever required.
> Or do you think still it make sense to spend some time to understand
> how can this be done in exiting UI?
> I hope I make sense to you. Please let me know your input.
>
> Or spending some time in current UI implementation on how to merge
> will be required?

Nope! There is no need to any work in the current UI.

In the new UI design the merge will be very simple.

Let's say ginger-base will launch the Host tab with a <div
id='host-content'> and the plugins which want to extend it will append
the appropriated XML to this <div>

In Jquery, it would be something like the following:

$('.host-content').append(<new XML to add to the host content>)