[Kimchi-devel] Kimchi GUI Prototype, Base Navigation

Aline Manera alinefm at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Aug 21 17:09:55 UTC 2015

On 21/08/2015 11:36, Walter Niklaus wrote:

> Am 21.08.2015 um 15:40 schrieb Aline Manera:
>>
>> Hi Jan,
>>
>> What is the proposal of that?
>>
>> We've already had a new UI design documentation to cover all the new
>> UI elements and what you are proposing here is very different from
>> what we are doing on new UI.
>>
> The new UI design documentation contains some great usability
> improvements but they are based on the current "master-branch"
> Kimchi/Ginger design where Kimchi and the framework are tightly
> interconnected.
> The existing design document is proposing the following base navigation:
>

> What's getting confusing from a usabiltiy point of view are especially
> the main menue points Storage and Networks because they are refferring
> to Virtual-Networks and libvirt-Storage-Pools and in the section of
> Host-Management there are similar menues for Host-Network and
> Host-Storage management. The menue points of Kimchi are expanding into
> the top horizontal section whereas the menue points of the
> Host-Management and Admin area are expanding into a vertical selection
> position.
> The horizontal section is limited in how much content it can display.
> We should also think about additional plugins like Containers and how
> we would have them show up in the UI.
> I guess what I'm pleading here is to take the chance and look at the
> UI-design again considering the changed circumstances and benefit from
> the skill some new community members like Samuel, Jan and others are
> bringing in here.
>
> Thanks, Walter.

Thanks for the clarification, Walter!

My concerns are about Kimchi plans. Related to that, I want to make
clear some points:

1) At this time, the new UI will be develop (and released for 1.6) as it
was designed (Check:
https://github.com/kimchi-project/kimchi/wiki/UI-Design-Proposals)
     We've already had a lot of discussion on that and the new UI is
planned for the end of September, ie, less than 2 months from now.
     So no new changes fit Kimchi schedule at this moment.

     That *does not* mean we can not improve and discussion new ideas.
But it will be implemented only after new UI is released.

2) Wok is a web server framework for plugins. It will provide basic UI
elements and widgets which *can be* reused for the plugins.
     How the plugins are designed is only related to the each plugin.

3) The vertical menu is in the new UI documentation for small screens
(responsive web design) so the UI will adjust the elements according to
screen size.

4) I don't see any benefit in grouping content in one tab. Each plugin
can launch as many tabs as it wants. Kimchi decides for 4. =)