[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] UI - Live migration UI design

Walter Niklaus niklaus at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Nov 13 14:23:21 UTC 2015

On 13.11.2015 14:09, Daniel Henrique Barboza wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The backend for this feature is almost completed and the API is
> defined, so let's
> talk about the UI.
>
> This is the API (note: the upstream version is outdated, will be
> updated in an
> incoming patch):
>
> **URI:** /plugins/kimchi/vms/*:name*
>
> * **POST**: *See Virtual Machine Actions*
>
> **Actions (POST):**
>
> * migrate: Migrate a virtual machine to a remote server, only support
> live
> mode without block migration.
>     * remote_host: IP address or hostname of the remote server.
>     * user *(optional)*: User to log on at the remote server.
>     * password *(optional)*: password of the user in the remote server
>

> This API will return a task ID for the UI to track its progress,
> pretty much
> like it is done with the 'clone' feature.
>
> This is how I imagine the UI:
>
> - a button called "migrate" at the same submenu as clone VM.
>
> - when pressed, a new window appears with the following content:
>
> --------
> "Disclaimer: this process cannot be stopped after started, can take a
> long time
> to complete and will turn off this current VM when it is over."
I would propose to change the wording: will turn off this current VM
when it is over.   into something like:    will turn off the VM on this
Hypervisor when it is sucessfully migrated to the remote destination.
Sorry, but I don't remember if we allow static migration as well ? If we
do, then we may have to display a different text for the static migration.

> * textfield to input the remote_server, name "remote server"
>
> * checkbox with text: "Delete this VM when the migration is completed"

Typically the VM definition, and I guess this is what the checkbox is
reffering to, is migrated to the remote host as well in order to allow
full management of this VM on the remote host (like changing its
configuration). I'm aware that we are not doing such actions in this
first release. However migrating the VM definition has a sideeffect we
may want to consider in this scope:  it makes sure that you can not have
multiple instances of the VM running on different hosts. This aspect is
releveant only if starting the VM multiple times is causing a conflict
on a resource like: the same SCSI disk as boot device.
I'm wondering that if the user doesn't select the above checkbox we
should put out a warning like:  "Restarting the VM locally may cause
resource conflicts with the migrated instance"