[Kimchi-devel] UI Change Request - Navigation

Jan Schneider schneidj at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Oct 8 16:10:16 UTC 2015

Hello Aline,

I refer to the latest version of the
User Interface Design Specification - Kimchi, 2014-12-23 (aka UI Design
Spec)
which defines the following structure of functionalities:

*Host* (second level navigation via panel areas)
    Performance (System Statistics)
    Basic Information
    Repositories
    Debug Report
    Software Updates

*Guests*
     no second level functionalities

*Templates*
     no second level functionalities

*Storage*
     no second level functionalities

*Networks*
     no second level functionalities

*Administration* (second level navigation via collapse/expand)
    Firmware Update
    SEP Configuration
    Power Options
    Configuration Backup
    Network Configuration
    SAN Adapters
    Sensor Monitor

*Problem Statement*

We already decided to move all Administration functionalities to Host
(currently not updated in the UI Design Spec).

We are currently facing the following problems:
1) Host now contains 12 second level functionalities, all other (Guests,
Templates, ...) none.
      We need to introduce a second level navigation for Host other than
collapse/expand
2) The navigation bar elements Storage and Network (refering to
Virtualization) also exist in the Host context.
      This might confuse the user.

*Proposal*

The described problems can be solved with the following changes:

1) Introducing a second level navigation
2) Changing the structure of functionalities as follows:

*Host*
    Performance (System Statistics)
    Basic Information
    Repositories