[Kimchi-devel] UI Change Request - Navigation

Walter Niklaus niklaus at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Oct 13 14:55:23 UTC 2015

On 13.10.2015 16:17, Aline Manera wrote:

> On 13/10/2015 11:11, Aline Manera wrote:
>>

>> On 09/10/2015 16:07, Samuel Henrique De Oliveira Guimaraes wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Although a lot of articles discourages mixing top-level tabs with
>>> sidebars, I think in this specific scenario we can make these
>>> patterns work but we have to make sure that the users won’t be
>>> redirected to a blank landing page or we’ll have to create one.
>>>

>> It is becoming a mess!!!! That way we will have more menus than
>> content. It is the same to create a new menu entry for each collapsed
>> content in Ginger plugin.
>>
>> I tend to agree with 2 top-level tabs but *without* any vertical menu!!!
>>

> Just complementing, the vertical menu should be displayed as collapsed
> content as we did for Ginger.

Unfortunately (or fortunately from a functionality point of view) we
will have much more content now in Ginger than we had before:
    -  the Storage area will have:
            -  a potentially huge list of block devices  (1000 is an
average configuration on a server running KVM on System z)
            -  filesystem info and actions
            -  logical volumes and their management
            -  SAN Adapters
            -  SWAP devices
    -  the Networking area will have:
            -  a list of NICs (including bond and bridge) which could
get quite large on big server
            -  OVS setup
And in addition we have consolidated the former host and admin tab
functionality now in the same main area/tab.
Having all this functionality in a collapsed content is not going to be
a useable solution because you need to do a lot of scrolling to get from
one area to the others.
Please have look at the example here:
http://www.ibm.com/design/language/framework/visual/introduction
Having this implementation seen in action makes me believe that it will
provide improved usability to our users.