[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] Add support for Macvtap and Linux Bridge

Aline Manera alinefm at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Oct 15 14:41:12 UTC 2015

Hi Ramon,

 From the API documentation:

**URI:** /plugins/kimchi/networks
* **POST**: Create a new Network
     * name: The name of the Network
     * connection: Specifies how this network should be connected to the
other
                   networks visible to this host.
         * isolated: Create a private, isolated virtual network.
         * nat: Outgoing traffic will be routed through the host.
         * bridge: All traffic on this network will be bridged through
the indicated interface.

So to create a new network, the user needs to specify the network name
and connection.
The current 'bridge' connection is related to macvtap.

I suggest to change it to create a Linux bridge and add a new connection
type "macvtap" to handle the macvtap bridge.

That way we don't need to add any new parameter in the API.

So the API would be:

# API to create a macvtap bridge
POST /plugins/kimchi/networks {name: macvtap-bridge, connection: macvtap}

# API to create a Linux bridge
POST /plugins/kimchi/networks {name: linux-bridge, connection: bridge}

What do you think about it?

Regards,
Aline Manera