[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] Create logical pool from existing VG

Jose Ricardo Ziviani joserz at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Oct 15 14:45:41 UTC 2015

Hello,

I'm about to write a new feature to Kimchi. It will allow users to
define any existing volume group as a storage pool, where guests will be
able to create logical volumes into it. NOTE: VGs already in use as
storage pool won't be listed.

I read Pooja's "[RFC] Proposal to manage Physical Volumes on Ginger",
and now I think all LVM code should be implemented in WOK so both
plugins (Kimchi/Ginger) could take advantages from that.

API:

Collection: /plugins/kimchi/host/vgs
Method: GET
Returns: list of vgnames:
[vgname1, vgname2]

Resource: /plugins/kimchi/host/vg/vgname
Method: GET
Returns: dict
{ vgname, size, free_size, [PV partition list, like: sda4, sdb3], [LV
name list, like: lv_root] }

Resource: /plugins/kimchi/storagepools/vgname
Method: POST
data: { vgname, storagepool_name, type=logical }

The frontend, I think we could have a table indicating all available
devices available for a logical storage pool, for example:

Define a New Storage Pool
1. Storage Pool Name
| mypool                                  |
The name used to identify the storage pools, and it should not be empty.

2. Storage Pool Type
+-----------+
| LOGICAL   |
+-----------+