[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] Add support for Macvtap and Linux Bridge

Daniel Henrique Barboza dhbarboza82 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 14:55:51 UTC 2015

On 10/15/2015 11:49 AM, Aline Manera wrote:

> On 15/10/2015 11:36, Daniel Henrique Barboza wrote:
>>

>> On 10/15/2015 10:15 AM, Ramon Medeiros wrote:
>>> Kimchi today creates network pool using macvtap. Now, we want the
>>> user to choose if it want Linux Bridge or macvtap.
>>>
>>> If you want to understand the pros and cons of this features, we can
>>> see here:
>>> https://github.com/kimchi-project/kimchi/wiki/Create-guest-network
>>>
>>> Proposal:
>>>
>>> Add "mode" option when creating a network pool.
>>>
>>> If macvtap is choosed, keep the actual procedure.
>>>
>>> If bridge is choosed, create linux bridge using net commands(brctl)
>>> and create network pool pointing to the new bridge.
>>>
>>> Create tests for this.
>>>

>> I approve this proposal, but perhaps we can rely on Ginger to do the
>> linux bridge? I am worried about having both kimchi and ginger
>> messing with the network interfaces.
>>

> I understand your concern, Daniel! But (I hope) it will be the single
> feature in which Kimchi needs to change the host configuration.

Yeah, it was just a 'awareness comment' more than anything. Kimchi needs
to be able to change the host configuration if this will enhance the
user experience. We just need to "take it easy", be as minimalist as
possible, to not end up doing a feature full network management in Kimchi.

For example, if creating a linux bridge using brctl end up conflicting
with something else (Network Manager just popped in my head) , perhaps
we're better of sending a message "a problem happen when creating the
bridge" and let the user handle the situation by himself using Ginger or
other solution.