[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] Creating linux bridge on Fedora and Debian based systems

Daniel Henrique Barboza danielhb at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Oct 16 20:47:17 UTC 2015

On 10/16/2015 05:25 PM, Ramon Medeiros wrote:
> Hi,
>
> to create a bridge on Fedora and Debian systems, it's possible to use
> brctl (who work in both), but it's not persistent. So, to create a
> persistent bridge, files must be create in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts on Fedora and /etc/network/interfaces
> on debian based.
>
> Does not exist a tool that handle this issues? If not, how kimchi are
> dealing when working with this differences between distros?

Today, AFAIK, Kimchi does not deal with creating vlan and bridges and so
on. What kimchi does is check if they exist. This is done by reading and
parsing /sys/class/net files, which I believe are the same across distros.

But don't take only my work for it - check out
/plugins/kimchi/netinfo.py and see by yourself.

As for "Does not exist a tool that handle this issues ", I believe this
is a question that the network guys from Ginger can answer. I'll let
them come here and answer ......  but I can say in advance that this
kind of operation will be done in Ginger via ifup and ifdown scripts and
parsing of the network config files. We considered using Network Manager
to help us with these tasks, but decided not to because we can't enforce
the user to have NManager installed.

Hope it helps,

Daniel