[Kimchi-devel] UI Extension Proposal - Same Action on Multiple List Elements

Aline Manera alinefm at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Oct 28 12:03:45 UTC 2015

On 27/10/2015 14:16, Walter Niklaus wrote:

> On 27.10.2015 13:31, Aline Manera wrote:
>>

>> On 22/10/2015 07:03, Jan Schneider wrote:
>>> Hi Samuel,
>>>
>>> I like your proposal shown in the attached screenshots. I would only
>>> change the button labels 'Download All' and 'Remove All' on 3.png to
>>> 'Download' and 'Remove' like on the two other screenshots. The user
>>> might interpret 'Remove All' and 'Download All' in a way that it
>>> affects all list items - not only the selected ones.
>>>
>>> In your proposal all items of the former 'Actions' combo box are now
>>> permanently visible. I like this approach. Compared to the 'Action'
>>> combo boxes it needs more space but improves usability.
>>>
>>> Ginger host management will add a lot of new panels. To get a
>>> consistent look and feel we also need to re-arrange the existing
>>> panels which will reduce/solve the restrictions in panel width. I
>>> will start a discussion on this in the Ginger community.
>>>
>>> One important point I would like to state at the end:
>>> The design discussions should show the way we want to go. I do not
>>> expect that we can implement all these ideas by end of 2015. Let's
>>> be pragmatic on what is possible in the first step.
>>>

>> For Kimchi 2.0 (to be released by the end of December) I'd say to
>> launch the new UI as it was designed.
>> We can open a github issue for each enhancement we agree and target
>> it for the upcoming release after Kimchi 2.0
>> It also applies to the new navigation bar we have agreed too.
> Aline, the design spec is outdated in some areas:  it doesn't reflect
> the separation into the various plugings and the additional
> functionality we are planning in host-management.
> Please let us look at the areas we know we want changes which are
> triggered by design discussions/decisions taken after the UI-Spec was
> finished.

The UI spec was already finished! I mean, there is no one working to
update the spec documentation to reflect the changes we did related to
wok and kimchi as a plugin.

> I agree that we will have enhancements which will not be doable for
> Kimchi 2.0. But I hope that such basic things like reorganising the
> navigation bar shouldn't be a big effort with the new framework.

The priority for Kimchi 2.0 is to have the new UI as it was firstly
designed + UI for the new features planned.

I agree, if time allows, to implement the ideas we have discussed for
2.0, but I doubt it will happen as we are only 1 month for the code
freeze and the new UI is not up and running.