[Kimchi-devel] About licensing

Frederic Bonnard frederic at fr.ibm.com
Thu Sep 24 10:34:28 UTC 2015

Hi,

> > Should these be LGPL-3 ?
> > Note : plugins/sample/ui/* is apache-2.0, maybe it's right because in a ui dir ?
> > Also, I just wanted to make sure, kimchi is LGPL-3 not LGPL-3+, right ?
> > Thanks,
>
> Each file into Kimchi source code has the license header. The overall
> Kimchi license is described in COPYING file.
> The backend is LGPLv3 and frontend Apache v2.

So shouldn't the headers of files mentionning LGPL 2.1 be updated with LGPL 3 ?
I see the patch only changed the COPYING* files : http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/kimchi-devel/2014-August/006894.html
Thus as most of backend files headers specify LGPL 2.1, the kimchi backend
source is actually still LGPL 2.1 (that's the way it's interpreted in linux
distributions.. file headers prevail)

Fred