[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] [Kimchi] Add support to edit virtual networks

Lucio Correia luciojhc at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Apr 12 19:00:27 UTC 2016

Hi Aline,

I've already sent implementation V1 to review. Anyway, my answers below.

On 12-04-2016 15:06, Aline Manera wrote:

> On 04/05/2016 06:02 PM, Lucio Correia wrote:
>> Edit virtual network feature
>>
>> Pre-requisite:
>> - Virtual network is stopped
>
>> - Virtual network "default" is not editable
>
> Why? Maybe only block renaming for the default network. But the other
> fields could be changed IMO.

OK, will check what can be done here.

>> *** BACKEND ***
>>
>> ### Resource: Network
>>
>> **URI:** /plugins/kimchi/networks/*:name*
>>
>> **Methods:**
>>
>> * **UPDATE**: Update a Network
>
> The method it PUT.

Yes, it's correct in the patch.

>>     * name: The name of the Network
>
>>     * subnet: Network segment in slash-separated format with ip
>> address and prefix
>>     * dhcp: DHCP services on the virtual network is enabled.
>>         * start: start boundary of a pool of addresses to be provided
>> to DHCP clients.
>>         * end: end boundary of a pool of addresses to be provided to
>> DHCP clients.
>>     * interfaces: An array of bridge network interfaces that belongs
>> to this network
>>                   All traffic on this network will be bridged through
>> the first
>>                   interface. The interface is a bridge or
>> ethernet/bonding device.
>>     * vlan ID
>
> Please, specify which parameters can be updated according to network type.
> I don't think all them apply to any network type.

It's done in the patch.

>> Not all attributes are required for all networks types.
>
> Specify that as it is a documentation file.

Done in the patch.

>> *** FRONTEND ***
>>
>> * Add new option Edit to Actions menu under Virtualization/Network
>> tab, enabled only for stopped networks
>> * When clicked, this option will open a new window for editing that
>> virtual network, with the following fields. Based on network type,
>> some of below fields may be disabled:
>>
>> Type: just a label describing the network type, not changeable.
>> Name: all types of virtual network can be renamed
>> Interfaces: attach/detach interfaces (enabled for VEPA) or change
>> interface (for macvtap, bridged)
>> Subnet/DHCP range: two IP fields: start, end (enabled for NAT, isolated)
>
>> VLAN id: integer field (enabled for bridged networks)
>>

> Can I add a VLAN ID for a bridged network previous created without VLAN
> ID? Or can I only change the VLAN ID from an VLAN bridged network?

Yes, vlan id can be added/updated/removed. The only thing that cannot
change is the virtual network type.

--
Lucio Correia
Software Engineer