[Kimchi-devel] RFC: Templates API changes for 'networks' attribute

Archana Singh archus at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Aug 10 08:46:50 UTC 2016

On 08/10/2016 12:23 PM, Suresh Babu Angadi wrote:

> On 08/10/2016 12:24 AM, Daniel Henrique Barboza wrote:
>> I am worried not only by the API.json changes but also in the
>> potential backend changes required. Do you have any prediction of
>> how far these changes might go?
> from backend, it would remain same for virtual network. For macvtap,
> validation of interface would be okay since interfaces listing is
> moved to gingerbase and kimchi is using it for networks hence same
> code can be utilized. For openvswitch, ginger code will have to be
> moved to gingerbase to enable kimchi to list host ovs interfaces.
On high level I guess below needs to be done, and both point below are
independent of each-other.
1) Listing of networks based on selected type. (This will mostly use to
show list in UI, based on type).
2) Once network is selected/provided, an REST API call which will land
to control and model. From control point of view it will be addition of
parameters. And from model point of view, we need to add if and else to
check type.
And for virtual type, existing code implementation should work. And for
other two type, we need add code for addition of these options in
template params. And also code to generate corresponding xml based on type.
It will be mostly on template/guest edit/create code and network
add/remove from guest/template.

May be validation of network(s) to check if network(s) exist( for type
macvtap and ovs) or not can be done as improvement to feature.

>> On 08/09/2016 06:12 AM, Suresh Babu Angadi wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>> To support, attaching a physical interface to guest as macvtap or
>>> attaching ovs bridge to guest without creating libvirt network, I
>>> propose following changes to 'networks' attribute of templates josn.
>>>
>>> current implementation:
>>> 'networks' attribute expects list of virtual network names
>>>
>>> changes:
>>> 'networks': list of dictionary
>>>                 type: can be direct, network or bridge
>>>                 interface: name of physical interface(type=direct)
>>> or ovs (type=bridge) or virtual network(type=direct)
>>>                 mode(required if type=direct): bridge or vepa
>>>
>>> for macvtap: type is direct and mode can be bridge or vepa
>>> for ovs: type is bridge and mode is not required