[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] [Wok] Feature: User Activity Log

Aline Manera alinefm at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Feb 10 14:46:59 UTC 2016

On 02/08/2016 04:36 PM, Lucio Correia wrote:
> On 08-02-2016 15:01, Samuel Henrique De Oliveira Guimaraes wrote:
>> Hi,
> Hello,
>

>> How many logs do you think the page should display? Should we use
>> pagination? I think since Ginger already included jQuery Boogrid in
>> Wok maybe we can use this library however...
>> -The search/filter will look for any word typed by the user. I mean,
>> the filter function will look up for any string in a row, we can't
>> put a button to "Search by date" or "search by request", if the user
>> types a date, it will filter this date. If the user filter "Kimchi"
>> and there's a user named "kimchiuser", the log will show all records
>> starting with "kimchi" and will display all actions done in Kimchi
>> plugin and actions in other plugins done by kimchiuser.
>
> The amount of logs can be defined later, based on what fits better our
> UI design. Pagination is essential in my opinion.
>
> I liked the filter function and think it works well for the Web UI.
> Since it will result in different possibilities of searches/results
> when compared to the REST API, my concern is regarding saving the
> logs. Would it be possible to generate a txt file for the user to save
> the logs for what she is seeing? Perhaps we need to provide a specific
> backend API for that...

We don't need to request all the logs entries at once to populate the UI.
In fact, it would cause performance issues as it is a web server
receiving multiple requests by different users at the same time which
will generate a huge amount of logs.

IMO we should display only the entries for the current day and allow
user do a advanced search, ie, by specific date, plugin, user, etc.

So for the logs already displayed, the filtering option you suggested
will work well. But the advanced search is essential.