[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] Using WebSockets and Server Sent Events for handling tasks in Wok and plugins

joserz at linux.vnet.ibm.com joserz at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jul 26 15:48:22 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 04:48:10PM -0300, Aline Manera wrote:
> Woww! I loved it! =)
>
> Kimchi already uses websockets connections for serial and vnc/spice console
> communication
>
> We can make it bigger and do that framework for tasks and notifications.
> Maybe for the next release.
>
> It would be good to have an issue to track that.
> Samuel, could you open it and input as much information as you can there?
>
> Thanks,
> Aline Manera
>
> On 06/06/2016 06:05 PM, Samuel Henrique De Oliveira Guimaraes wrote:
> >
> >Hi team,
> >
> >I was thinking that combining websockets with local/session storage could
> >solve the problems that we have with asynchronous tasks but after reading
> >this, I think it could also be used for notifications and error messages
> >as well. Check this out:
> >
> >https://www.sitepoint.com/real-time-apps-websockets-server-sent-events/
> >
> >I think it is already enabled for the Serial Console in Kimchi, am I
> >right?
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Samuel

Excellent idea!

Working on PCI Passthrough I've noticed that those notifications and
tasks are overheads that websockets could help us to minimize them.

Cherrypy doesn't support websockets but Kimchi has been using websockify to
provide such feature. I think it's feasible to have it implemented in Wok but we need to
specify a small protocol, to make it possible to route the packet to the
handler correctly as well as a generic backend solution to be used for
other solutions.

I'm thinking on a possible solution for that. I'll write it down a share
here for discussion when ready.