[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] Guest/Template CPU setup with topology

Chandra Shekhar Reddy Potula chandra at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Nov 10 13:12:31 UTC 2016

On 11/9/16 12:44 AM, Daniel Henrique Barboza wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> At this moment Kimchi support for guest and template CPU setup is
> underwhelming. Here's what I've found that needs improving:
>
> - edit template:
>
> * calculation of max CPUs is wrong when considering a topology. Max CPU
> is the value of sockets * cores *  threads. At this moment it is
> considering only
> cores * threads, defaulting sockets to 1.
>
> * There is no way to set or even see the value of sockets. Given that
> this value
> is used in the calculation of the max CPUs, it should be at least
> visible and, in my
> opinion, editable

I like the idea. One thing to consider here is these calculations might
be different based on platforms (x86/ppc/s390x). Make sure we have to
address these aspects.
> - edit guest (not running):
> * If the guest was created with a CPU topology, there is no way to
> edit it. The only
> way to edit a topology at this moment is on the template level.
>

> My proposal is:
>
> edit template:
> - fix the max CPU calculation to consider the sockets.
> - add a field to allow the 'sockets' to be set at will. Default value
> will be retrieved
> by the kimchi/host/cpuinfo API as a reference (same think as with
> cores and threads
> today).
>
> edit guest:
> - if the guest was created with a CPU topology, allow the topology to
> be edited when
> the guest is turned OFF.
>

> Thoughts?

Looks good

> ps: this RFC is also related to the feedback of "Bug fix #1072 -
> changing vpus
> verification​".

Also in any means max number of vcpu that can be created based on the
CPU capacity available to the host to be addressed ? May be this is some
thing we can attempt if it helps admin. Just a thought !!!

> Daniel

+1 for the proposal