[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] [Wok]  #147 Block authentication request after too many failures

Aline Manera alinefm at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Jan 5 12:14:22 UTC 2017

Hi Ramon,

On 12/22/2016 01:59 PM, Ramon Medeiros wrote:

> Propose: make adjustments at login page to make difficult brute force
> attack.
>
> Today, an intruder can make login tries without any action from Wok.
>
> Possible measures:
>
> Record source port and ip. After 3 tries, block user for 30 seconds
> and increase the time by each more try. Using source port and ip will
> avoid errors for connections from NAT networks.
>
> Example:
>
> 1) ip 192.168.1.1 tries to login as root 3 times and fail

You will consider ip and port, right? So when ip and port tries to login
as root 3 times and fail...

> 2) A timeout of 30 seconds will be set

Does that mean the user will not be allowed to perform a login action
for 30 seconds?

> 3) After that, for 5 minutes, each try will add 30 seconds + x times
> the trial (60 seconds, 90 seconds. ..)

Not sure I got what you want here. After the 30 seconds block, the user
will be able to try to login again.
How many attempts he/she can try to login again before get blocked?

Will he/she get blocked for 5 minutes in the second round of attempts?