[Kimchi-devel] Make Kimchi free of Ginger Base

Aline Manera alinefm at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Mar 7 18:25:29 UTC 2017

Hi all!

Ginger Base (responsible to launch the Dashboard and Updates tabs under
Host tab) is a Kimchi dependency because some users may be want to check
host configuration and statistics when running multiple virtual machines
as long as update the Kimchi package without the need to drop to the
host console.
I agree it is useful, but I don't think it is restricted related to
virtualization. So my proposal is to make Kimchi free of Ginger Base and
if user wants any host information he/she can install Ginger Base alone.

What do you think about it?

It is not just remove the Ginger Base package dependency because Kimchi
uses some python modules from Ginger Base.
So if you agree, I will work to remove the Kimchi dependency on those
Ginger Base python modules and then, remove the package dependency.

Let me know your thoughts!

Regards,
Aline Manera