[moVirt] when connection fails, user does not know the data are old

Tomas Jelinek tjelinek at redhat.com
Tue May 26 09:04:53 UTC 2015

Hey All,

we have an interesting bug report from Sandro [1] which says that after the connection between engine and moVirt goes down, moVirt does not notify the user about this and keeps showing the
old data in the UI as if nothing happened even they are weeks old. This is obviously not correct but not exactly clear how should it behave. I see this options:

- if the connection fails during the refresh, set all the statuses of everything to "unknown"
  (I would not do this since this would generate the notifications and may be temporal (e.g. phone in tunnel or something))

- leave the data as they are and have some top bar or something saying how old the data are. This would be updated at every poll
  (Not sure, would occupy place and would make it hard for partial updates. And track this for each entity is costy)

- leave the data as they are and if some server communication fails add a top bar with a warning that the connection to server is lost and the data are old - maybe with some note when was the last successful connection.
  (this seems simple enough and my favorite but still not convinced I like it...)

Any more ideas?

Thanx,
Tomas

[1]: https://github.com/matobet/moVirt/issues/66