[node-devel] Questions from the oVirt Node presentation at the oVirt Workshop in Beijing

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Thu Mar 22 12:10:53 UTC 2012

Thanks again to Qixiang Wan for giving the presentation since I could
not attend the workshop.

A couple questions came up that there were unclear answers to at the
time.  I wanted to put the questions and my responses out here for
people.

Q: What's the best solution for adding your own applications to the
node?

A: The answer given was a combination of using livecd-tools and the
future plugins feature for achieving this.

Using livecd-tools is not recommended.  It may work, but it's not
something that we would recommend long-term.

The plugins feature will be the recommended approach to adding new
features/tools to the node.  I'm interested to know what people are
looking to add as applications though.  ovirt-node's value is that it is
small and generally a blackbox.  If the applications are monitoring
agents, and things like that, then the correct path would likely be
plugins.  If it's something else, then please share what you're looking
to add so we can find the right approach for you.

Another solution is to submit patches that add your functionality to the
base image.

Q: How can I pull different configurations for many nodes?

A:  I'm not completely clear on what is being asked here.  What types of
configurations are being asked about?

We do provide kernel command line parameters for most configurations so
PXE is a solution for booting a lot of machines with similar
configurations.  It's hard to answer this without more clarity on what
you're trying to accomplish.

Thanks

Mike