[node-devel] Versioning of oVirt Node

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Thu Apr 3 09:41:23 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Why alien? I would like fedora engine and the most stable host I can get.
Or I would like to experiment with the next fedora on separate datacenter.
Nothing should be alien.

> > As there is no reason why I would not like centos hosts for my fedora
> > engine :)
> >
> > And there is no reason why we should not allow keeping these available
> > side-by-side.
> >

> > > If the el6 variant is installed on the Engine side, does yum
> > > automatically update to the 3.1 el6 variant when it comes out? Or
> > does
> > > yum ignore the different dist-tags?

> > > Could you please give an example for this.
> >
> > You can see lots of examples at other projects[1]
> >
> > [1] http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/ovirt-snapshot/rpm/fc19/noarch/
>
> Thanks.
>
> > > And - as noted above - I could live with dropping the date for the
> > > wrapper-rpms - tho it is still handy to have them.
> >
> > Why is it handy, what is it serve?
>
> I was about to say t get have an idea about the build date, and having
> an incrementing number.
> But all this can either be achieved by looking at the iso contents or by
> simple incrementing numbers aka (spec) release numbers.

> > > would you replase z in that string above?
> >
> > Each stable release/fix release you issue z is incremented async of
> > any other package.

> > upstream,
> > >
> > > Could you please exaplain this a bit more.
> >
> > You wrote:
> >

> > ovirt-node-iso-<ovirt-target-version>-<build-date>.<number>.<dist>.iso
> >
> > This means that you have no upstream version for your own use...
> > ovirt-target-version is of ovirt, but what is the version of the node?
>
> Oh right. Well the "node" version can be retrieved by looking at the
> version of the contained ovirt-node pkg. We don't need to expose it in
> the name.
>
> That's actually what I want to avoid - to expose the node version -
> because this isn't helpful to th euser - even worse - it is confusing.

On the contrary... the node version is the part that is important, this is the upstream version of the component, and should not be hidden.