[node-devel] oVirt Node filesystem layout on resources.ovirt.org

Fabian Deutsch fabiand at redhat.com
Wed Feb 26 08:18:27 UTC 2014

Hey,

currently it is not easy to find oVirt Node (Base Image) releases on
resources.o.o - I'd like to suggest a layout simplification to remove
some clutter, improve the findability of isos and ease the maintenance.

Currently the (Node related) layout is:

releases
+ base
+ node-base
  + 3.0.0
    + iso
    + rpm
  + alpha
  + beta
  + nightly (symlink?)
  + stable (symlink to 3.0.0?)

could we please change the tree to be more like:

releases
+ node-base
  + 3.0
    + iso
    + rpm
  + stable (symlink to 3.0)

Some notes on the removed paths:
 base - Was unused
 alpha - To reduce overhead I'd use jenkins builds for alpha
 beta - To reduce overhead I'd use jenkins builds for beta
 beta - To reduce overhead I'd use jenkins builds for nightlies

Some more notes:
 3.0 - Just this one dir for all updates

This boils down to Node just offering stable images on resources.o.o.
Everything else can be pulled from jenkins (once we get everything into
shape again).

This suggestion is just for the "base image". Once the base images are
in place, jenkins can pick up the base images and generate "layered"
images which include vdsm (to be used with Engine).
The layered images can then be kept in the same place where the
remaining oVirt (Engine, vdsm, ...) packages are kept (for 3.3.3
in /releases/3.3.3/…).

Does that make sense?

- fabian