Video at workshop?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Oct 8 00:18:24 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 05:20:52PM -0400, Dustin Kirkland wrote:

> My team uses Google+ Hangouts extensively (mostly for daily standups,
> etc).  It supports voice/video through a web browser of up to 10
> people at a time.  It also supports desktop sharing now.

I'm thinking we might have >1 methods for connecting from within the
breakout sessions, depending on who we need to bring in - some WebEx, some G+,
some Skype, some of us even love BigBlueButton. :)

> Additionally, we've had success in some Ubuntu summits by icecasting
> the live audio to the internet, and dedicating 1 of 2 projectors in
> the room to an IRC channel, where remote, listening users post their
> questions and comments.  Also, a big +1 on Etherpad -- essential for
> this sort of thing.

+1 on Icecast, we've done that with Fedora events. +1 to IRC channel
projection, too, very good stuff. Audio stream + IRC are useful for
Q&A, for example.

> I unfortunately won't be able to make this first summit, so I'd very
> much appreciate a way to listen and contribute remotely.  Cheers!

We'll catch you next time. :) Do you know if Mark Baker is attending?
I know we have a horrible conflict (the bane of event planning :( ),
and yes, this is one reason I'll commit to making video + audio
happening.

- Karsten
team:   Red Hat Community Architecture & Leadership
uri:             http://communityleadershipteam.org
                        http://TheOpenSourceWay.org