Workshop Invite - please provide feedback

Benedict, Jon bjon at netapp.com
Fri Sep 9 16:52:51 UTC 2011

Hi Mike,

Most of what I¹ve done so far is find best practices (at least in regards to
Red Hat¹s implementation) for KVM and RHEV + NetApp storage.  This includes
backup, DR, and site failover.  Going forward, there are plans to do much
deeper integration in order to allow KVM & RHEV (and oVirt!!!) to take
advantage of things like copy offload and cloning from the backend, as well
as provisioning.  I¹m working with the good folks over in Tel Aviv for this.

Additionally, I¹m working on the host side of cloning ­ that is, what is the
best way to prep a RHEL host (or hypervisor or VM..) prior to cloning.
There are many artifacts (WWIDs, LUN IDs, SSH host keys, bits in
initrd/initramfs etc) that you don¹t want copied between clones.  So I¹m
working on a Œsysprep¹ like tool & workflow to address this.  I¹m 99% done
with the RHEL 6.x version, but I¹m still testing on RHEL 5.6+.  I¹ll be sure
to release it to this group for feedback.  From there, I¹ll see about adding
in support for SuSe.

Hope this answers your question,

Jb

PS. - it looks like you¹re in NC as well.  I¹m in RTP, on Kit Creek.. If
you¹re nearby, lets grab lunch sometime.

On 9/9/11 12:05 PM, "Michael D Day" <mdday at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> project-planning-bounces at ovirt.org wrote on 09/09/2011 11:28:52 AM:
>> > I¹ve had a few passes at the Workshop Invite, with some good
>> > feedback from Carl.  I¹d like to share the latest version with all
>> > of you in hopes that you will provide additional feedback.  Here is
>> > the current draft:
>> >

>> > Would you like to support an Open Source project that affects all
>> > aspects of the KVM hypervisor?
>> > Are you interested in helping to develop or influence the next
>> > generation of Open Source management tools for virtualization?
>> > Do you have the desire to grow the ecosystem around KVM in order to
>> > help drive its adoption?
>> > Do you have skills around organizing or writing that you would like
>> > to lend to an Open Source project?
>> > Are interested in an Open virtualization management platform?
>
> Do you develop a product or technology that can manage or extend KVM?
>

> Looks good!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>
> Mike Day
> IBM Distinguished Engineer
> Chief Virtualization Architect, Open Systems Development
> Cell: +1 919 371-8786 | mdday at us.ibm.com
> http://code.ncultra.org

Jon Benedict
Technical Marketing Engineer