oVirt comminuty voting

Michael D Day mdday at us.ibm.com
Fri Sep 9 19:15:25 UTC 2011

project-planning-bounces at ovirt.org wrote on 09/09/2011 03:08:17 PM:
> > One concern I have is that this seems to enforce that all projects are
> > managed via consensus.  But many existing (and successful) Open Source
> > projects don't use an Apache-style consensus model but rather rely on
> > a benevolent dictatorship or some variation thereof.
> >
> > I think it's fine to use a consensus model for oVirt business, but I
> > think it's important to allow sub projects to use other types of
> > leadership models.  Otherwise you're excluding large parts of the
> > existing community, most notably, libvirt, QEMU, and KVM.
> >
> > So I think for project specific things (like whether a project is
> > ready for a release) needs to be completely deferred to the sub
project.

> > If the sub project needs to somehow codify how it makes decisions,
> > that's fine, but the sub project should ultimately have the say over
> > how it makes decisions.
>

> The goal is for each sub-project to get to 3 or more maintainers, which
> rules out the benevolent dictatorship model for sub-projects. The goal
> here is to build a growing and sustainable community not reliant on
> single individuals.
>
> Think of it as at least three benevolent dictators per sub-project, or
> if the project has less than three, the board helps provide
> accountability. For projects like KVM, QEMU, libvirt, if they joined in
> we would encourage them vote on additional maintainers. It is hard to
> argue any downside to doing that.

I agree that we need to encourage and require more than one maintainer per
project and I like the rule. I don't think we want to force a change in
existing projects that are successful like KVM & QEMU. In both of these
cases we have projects with a long history of broad contributions. Or we
should recognize that kVM and QEMU have de-facto sub-mainterships due to
the practice of regular almost automatic pulling of source trees published
by key contributors.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Day
IBM Distinguished Engineer
Chief Virtualization Architect, Open Systems Development
Cell: +1 919 371-8786 | mdday at us.ibm.com
http://code.ncultra.org