oVirt comminuty voting

Anthony Liguori aliguori at us.ibm.com
Fri Sep 9 20:38:38 UTC 2011

On 09/09/2011 03:03 PM, Carl Trieloff wrote:
> On 09/09/2011 04:00 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>>
>> I'd prefer something like, communities with greater than 3 (or maybe
>> 10?) maintainers can creator their own voting procedures.
>
> that is what apache does btw and is fine by me. the goal here is to get
> a broad maintainer set and help mew projects grow. once a project has a
> good culture, they can evolve it themselves.

Okay, that sounds good.  Perhaps we should try to work language like
this into more of these docs?  Basically, three tiers of projects:

  Tier 0;  x < 3 maintainers, oVirt board has ability to make decisions
on behalf of the project.

  Tier 1;  3 <= x < 10 maintainers, project is autonomous, but must use
oVirt recommended voting procedures and maintainership model.

  Tier 2; x >= 10 maintainers, project is autonomous and writes its own
governance document.  Perhaps the document should be voted on by the
oVirt board?

I think that creates a nice incubator model where oVirt helps a project
grow and gets out of the way once it reaches critical mass.

Can anyone give me an idea of where the initial set of seed projects
will fit?  How many maintainers is oVirt Server likely to have? (I
assume that's the biggest of the seed projects).

> Do you want to go ahead and edit that into the google doc?

Sure.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori