Adding a project to oVirt

Anthony Liguori aliguori at us.ibm.com
Mon Sep 12 21:02:21 UTC 2011

On 09/12/2011 03:46 PM, Carl Trieloff wrote:
> On 09/12/2011 03:41 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>> On 09/12/2011 02:30 PM, Carl Trieloff wrote:
>>>
>>> (URL REDACTED - INFO: http://lists.ovirt.org/mailman/project-planning/2011-September/000283.html)
>>>

>>> Anthony, I believe I have your comments worked into this doc, please
>>> take a look.
>>>
>>> Itamar, please review the two project rules.
>>
>> What is a "published API"?  Does the board vote on what constitutes a
>> published API, or does any API that is published by an accepted
>> project automatically become an oVirt published API?
>>

> I was thinking of votes in term of VDSM, the Admin REST API. or we want
> to add a reporting API etc. not the contents, just which team drives it,
> and that it is an agreed point we 'support' with some or other ABI.
>
> We should define that out a bit more.

I was trying to understand how something like QEMU would fit into oVirt.

Since this requires that the each project consumes or provides a
supported API, QEMU exposes an API that it supports (QMP), but it's not
published through oVirt (or would it be?).  oVirt Engine consumes it via
a very indirect path (through VDSM, then through libvirt, and then QMP).

I don't think Apache has any real requirement that projects under
Apache.org integrates with apache directly, right?  Maybe it would be
best if we avoided being overly specific here.

How does Eclipse handle this?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori