oVirt comminuty voting

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Wed Sep 14 10:27:32 UTC 2011

[mailto:project-planning-bounces at ovirt.org] On Behalf Of Carl
> Trieloff
> Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 21:08 PM
> To: project-planning at ovirt.org; Jim Jagielski
> Subject: oVirt comminuty voting
>

> Please read, we can always vote in updates, so proof it and make sure it
> is good enough to get going with.
>
> (URL REDACTED - INFO: http://lists.ovirt.org/mailman/project-planning/2011-September/000283.html)
>
> Jim, if you also proof, given your experience in this area
>
> I have linked it into the web site layout in the google doc, I'll be
> working all the key sections one by one to get us going for launch.

Another thought/issue:
Currently maintainer == committer.
Ovirt engine has multiple modules in it.
While a lot of people have commit rights, they are not considered
maintainers of the entire project.
However, it makes sense for them to commit the holistic patch across
multiple modules once all acks are given.

So to me, a maintainer is someone who can ack a patch for a certain module
A committer can commit code, but is responsible to not commit without an
ack from the relevant maintainer if the patch encompasses subsystems
outside of his domain expertise (i.e., committer is not maintainer in all
portions the patch set will touch)

Thoughts?