project matrix

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Sep 19 00:12:29 UTC 2011

I'm looking at http://lists.ovirt.org/project/subprojects/ and
thinking about a few things.

* Each of the project names currently is not a link. We could have a
  single, mostly static landing page for each subproject
  e.g. ovirt.org/projectname (which can be nested in the menus, too.)
  It's easy to give a wide range of people 'writer' access in the
  website framework so people can edit their own subproject page
  at-will.

  If that makes sense, I'll go ahead and create the pages then link
  them in to the matrix. Carl - we can also link them in to the
  drop-down navigation to make it easier to get to a subproject from
  anywhere on the site.

* We could drop the link to archives 'arc' entirely and rely upon the
  link that is on the mailing list page. I don't recall seeing many
  instances of a matrix e.g. jboss.org or eclipse.org having deep
  links to each list's archives.

* We could also drop the link that is a mailto: call since nearly all
  these lists will require subscription to post.

* Then just have one link 'devel' etc., or even have
  listname at ovirt.org just be a link to the Mailman page.

* Partially because of the way the matrix looks, it does make the
  'devel' name very busy, and I understand that as one of the reasons
  Carl prefers arch at ovirt.org as the "main project core technical and
  schedule discussions list." The name for this list I had orginally
  down as devel at ovirt.org. Is that going to be too difficult if every
  subproject is also subproject-devel at ovirt.org?

  Anyway, we can just link to this overall list above the matrix.

* For maintainer names, it will be nice to link to a wiki user page
  for each person. I'll be sure to detail how to do that on the wiki,
  offer up some templates, etc.

- Karsten
team:   Red Hat Community Architecture & Leadership
uri:             http://communityleadershipteam.org
                        http://TheOpenSourceWay.org