project matrix

Carl Trieloff cctrieloff at redhat.com
Mon Sep 19 14:19:41 UTC 2011

On 09/18/2011 08:12 PM, Karsten Wade wrote:
> I'm looking at http://lists.ovirt.org/project/subprojects/ and
> thinking about a few things.
>
> * Each of the project names currently is not a link. We could have a
>   single, mostly static landing page for each subproject
>   e.g. ovirt.org/projectname (which can be nested in the menus, too.)
>   It's easy to give a wide range of people 'writer' access in the
>   website framework so people can edit their own subproject page
>   at-will.
>
>   If that makes sense, I'll go ahead and create the pages then link
>   them in to the matrix. Carl - we can also link them in to the
>   drop-down navigation to make it easier to get to a subproject from
>   anywhere on the site.

The goal is to create a page under the link with more information on
each project. I did not go ahead and create the links until we had solid
content for each link. I would prefer to let the links show up over time
as we work the content and not make this critical path for making the
site public.

> * We could drop the link to archives 'arc' entirely and rely upon the
>   link that is on the mailing list page. I don't recall seeing many
>   instances of a matrix e.g. jboss.org or eclipse.org having deep
>   links to each list's archives.

I would prefer to keep it in the table

> * We could also drop the link that is a mailto: call since nearly all
>   these lists will require subscription to post.

good point, I will go ahead and drop them.

> * Then just have one link 'devel' etc., or even have
>   listname at ovirt.org just be a link to the Mailman page.
>
> * Partially because of the way the matrix looks, it does make the
>   'devel' name very busy, and I understand that as one of the reasons
>   Carl prefers arch at ovirt.org as the "main project core technical and
>   schedule discussions list." The name for this list I had orginally
>   down as devel at ovirt.org. Is that going to be too difficult if every
>   subproject is also subproject-devel at ovirt.org?

I also prefer ach and we want to cross project list to more than just
dev, we want ach, integration and coordination on the cross project
list. This list also does not need to be in the table as it is for all
projects.

Ideally, we should subscribe everyone that joins a devel list to the ach
list automatically

>   Anyway, we can just link to this overall list above the matrix.
>
> * For maintainer names, it will be nice to link to a wiki user page
>   for each person. I'll be sure to detail how to do that on the wiki,
>   offer up some templates, etc.

Once we have individual project pages we can create that for each
project. however I wanted to just keep it simple to get it going.

I did not want to create extra work for the project guys for going
public having pages that are sparse. let's go live with a clean up of
what we have and then we can work getting the project pages under each
one filled out towards teh workshop unless Andy or Itamar has time to
create more content today.

Carl.